1. The Locals
I’m going to be cheeky here and make a selection under one aegis: my locals. There’s a very high chance that I will be catching Umbrella shows entirely by dint of being in the vicinity of my favourite pubs. You don’t know how precious live music venues are till you lose them, so sit your arse down, get a pint in your hand and support local music in Adelaide.
The ‘second home’. There’s a bunch going on here, but Mike Noga on Friday 14 July – for free – can’t be beaten.
Crown and Anchor (The Cranker)
Sunday’s belong to the Cranker. It is law. The afterparty of Swirl Records’ carpark block party will be here on Sunday 30 July. Convenient, that.
The Gilbert St Hotel
The best end is the (almost) West end. Friday post-work drinks and Tuesday jazz night at The Gilbert gets me through winter. So I’ll be nabbing the fire seat (I will cut you for it) and setting up shop for the afternoon here on Sunday 16 July for Blues singer-songwriter Cal Williams Jr.
Load up on a vitamin filled Wheaty Brewing Corps stout and…walk into a video set? The Skeleton Club are a good time, and they’re filming a live video shoot on Friday 21 July. So come if you can play nicely.
2. a Night of Contemporary Music
Get down to the Holy Rollers converted Church in Prospect on Saturday 29 July for A Night of Contemporary Music. I’ll be there to catch the Narrow Gaugers. Listen out for tracks from the rock-opera Gertrude – ‘Gunzelman’ and ‘Strangely it Seems’ are standouts.
3. The Shaolin Afronauts: Quest Under Capricorn LIVE
Pregame your weekend by hitting the Gov on Thursday 27 July for Shaolin Afronauts present Quest Under Capricorn Live. You’ll be wishing winter would just piss-off by this time, so a 17 piece Afrobeat band should shake the doldrums.
4. Nexus Arts presents: Daydreamer Wolf
Culture. It’s good for you. This night is stuffed with it: art, poetry, music. You can get your fill of it for the month in this one event, Friday 28 July. Plus there’s a wine tasting with the head winemaker from Yalumba. Wine always helps the poetry slide down.
5. The Sanctuary Festival
After all the music and shenanigans of Umbrella, wind down with the Sanctuary Festival. I’ve been assured by those in the know that this is not ‘hippy-shite’ (my wording, not theirs). This event sold out last time, so get in quickly. The theme years theme is fire, and fire and I are old mates. Stay warm and calm down with some yoga on Sunday 30 July. I’ll be at the bar, or near/in the fire.
1. Southern Tigers
2. Dark Matter: Filling the Noise Void
3. Foley! “Hey Don’t Worry About The Tour” at The Exeter
4. Wintersteady 2017
1. The Sanctuary Festival – Looking forward to donning myself in my brightest activewear and taking the day out to embrace some of Adelaide’s best homegrown acts as well as some of
Nexus Arts favourite multicultural artists!
2. The Shaolin Afronauts: Quest Under Capricorn LIVE – Big sound and a big night with this dynamic band. This will be one you don’t want to miss!
3. Bag Raiders – Adelaide – Since I saw them in Berlin Festival representing Australia at 5am in the morning on The Spree River I have always made an effort to support these guys, always a great band to break off the winter cobwebs and dance!
4. Adam Page plays Native American Flutes – Singlehandedly Adam Page continues to amaze every time. A truly talented musician that we are lucky to call South Australian. His on stage presence will have you tapping your toes, engaged and leaving with a smile. A wonderful night.
5. Nexus Arts presents: Daydreamer Wolf – This will be a wonderful night of culture and art. Starting off with head winemaker from Yalumba taking us through some of their favourite wines followed by a night of poetry, visual art and jazz. It is going be a great night to warm you up in winter.
Tam Boakes – Owner of one Adelaide’s fav live music venues aka Jive
1. Tram Sessions
2. Timberwolf at Jive, Adelaide
3. The Wedding Present (UK) at The Jade, Adelaide
5. Mike Noga / KING solo / The Exeter – Free
Sarah Burton – moshtix
1. CEREMONY – A Tribute To Joy Division/New Order
2. The Sanctuary Festival
4. Golden Era Records & Bad Apples Air Awards Afterparty
5. Timberwolf ‘Hold You Up’ Tour
Sharni Honor – Porch Sessions
1. Timberwolf – Hold You Up Tour at Jive
2. Yewth Presents ‘Out of Office’
3. Southern Twang at The Ed Castle
4. Broads at The Grace Emily
5. Nick Cunningham – La Boheme